The great thing about tonight’s show is we knew someone was going to be sent home. There wasn’t going to be any last minute saves by the judges or American Idol “Do Overs.” After a “Bottom 2”, finish last week and an average night last night it came as no surprise when Ryan Seacrest announced that Amber Holcomb was going home.
I really like Amber. She is a very good singer and some of her performances were the “Top 10”, performances of the season. In particular, her performance of Heart’s, “What About Love”, and Stevie Wonder’s, “Lately”, were songs that I won’t forget. While Amber continued to grow and get stronger as the competition went along, her problem was consistency. She would give one great performance followed by a dud. Like last night for example. Her first song by P!nk, “Just Give Me a Reason.” was just plain boring. The judges called it less than stellar or karaoke like. She followed that up with a great performance of “My Funny Valentine.”
In another year Amber might have made it all the way to the finals, but this year’s batch of girls was just too strong and a 4th place finish is the best she could have hoped for. This won’t be the end for Amber. With her good looks, voice, and the exposure she received from American Idol she has a great chance for a successful career.
Listed below is my ranking for the three remaining contestants:
In my opinion this is a two-person race with Angie Miller and Candace Glover headed for the finals. While Kree has been consistently good throughout the contest, as we have gotten down to the top singers she has been just a notch behind both Angie and Candace. I have really enjoyed Kree’s performances and in my opinion she earned her spot in the “Final 3.” However, unless she delivers two knock-out performances next week I expect her to go home.
American Idol Odds and Ends
• Despite the controversy between Harry Connick Jr. and the other judges (mainly Randy Jackson) I think Harry would be a good candidate as a future American Idol judge.
• Looking happy and relaxed, David Cook sang his new single, “Laying Me Low”. It is hard to believe that it has been 5 years since he won American Idol
• Alicia Keys is scheduled to appear on next week’s results show and sing her new single, “Tears Always Win,” from her hit album, “Girl on Fire.”
• Season 10, second place finisher Lauren Alaina, will also premiere her new single, “Barefoot and Buckwild”, on theAmerican idol stage.
• Next week each finalist will sing three songs: “Judges’ Choice”; “Jimmy’s Choice”; and “Idol’s Choice.”
• The American Idol Finale is scheduled for Thursday May 16th.