Last week’s prize was a spot in the coveted “Top 10″. This prize this week is a spot in the “Top 9”, and a room in the American Idol mansion for the remainder of the show. In a preview of the Summer Tour the “Top 10”performed an entertaining version of Billy Joel’s, “For the Longest Time”. Their voices sounded great and they actually appeared to be enjoying themselves. Enough filler, let’s get to the all important results.
Ryan Seacrest calls up Hollie Cavanagh, Elise Testone and Skylar Laine to the center of the stage. While I loved Elise’s performance last night she could be in trouble and when Ryan announces that Hollie and Skylar are safe it looks like I am right. In a surprise, Ryan announces that Elise is safe too!!! Elise definitely took a risk with her song choice but it paid off. Hollie, Elise and Skylar are moving to the mansion.
Next up is Deandre Brackensick, Joshua Ledet and Jessica Sanchez. There is no way that Jessica is going home but both Deandre and Joshua could be in trouble. Billy Joel said he enjoyed Jessica’s rendition of the song and so did America, Jessica is safe. Joshua is safe too and Deandre is escorted to the “Bottom 3” bleacher seats. Isn’t it ironic, I thought Deandres’s performance was his best in the last three weeks and he still ended up in the “Bottom 3.”
Last up is Heejun Han, Erika Van Pelt, Phillip Phillips and Colton Dixon. Two of the remaining four will join Deandre in the “Bottom3”. There won’t be any drama here, Phillip and Colton’s performances were outstanding and they won’t be going home. Erika and Heejun are in big trouble and America agrees as Ryan welcomes them to the ‘Bottom 3.”
In an interesting development, Steven Tyler and Jimmy Lovine seem actually “pissed off’ with Heejun. Tyler believes he isn’t taking the competition seriously, and Jimmy Iovine agreed. Lovine took it one step further saying that “Heejun came out and disrespected the entire process. His performance was more like four minutes of a bad Adam Sandler movie that goes straight to DVD. At the end of the day, Interscope Records has to spend a lot of money on somebody who wins this show and that’s not it.” While I try not to pay too much attention to the judge’s comments, it is hard to ignore remarks like those. If he faces elimination, Heejun shouldn’t expect a “Wild Card Save” from the judges.
Last week, I thought America got it wrong when they put three girls in the “Bottom 3”. It is hard to argue with the ‘Bottom 3” this week. Deandre, Heejun, and Erika have all been in the “Bottom 3”, at least two times and with inconsistent performances they have truly earned their position. While Deandre, Heejun and Erika all have talent they just don’t have enough talent and have absolutely no chance of winning American Idol. Ryan announces that Deandre and Heejun are safe and Erika now has to sing for her life and hope the judges will save her. She does an okay version of Whitney Houston’s, “I Believe In You and Me” and now it is up to the judges to determine her fate.
Ryan asks the judges “Will you use your one save of the season on Erika tonight?” Keeping it short once again, Randy announces “Unfortunately no, sorry,” and Erika’s journey ends.
American Idol Odds and Ends:
• I was glad to see that Hollie Cavanagh’s average performance the previous night didn’t hurt her in the voting. I expect a good bounce back performance from her next week. She still has a chance to win this!!!
• After an average performance (for her) last week, Jessica Sanchez returned to form and solidified her position as the favorite to win it all.
• While I am not sure he can win it all, Phil Phillips is definitely my favorite American Idol contestant and I look forward to his performance each week. If he continues to improve he could surprise everyone.
• My predictions for next weeks “Bottom 3” are Heejun Han, Deandre Brackensick and Elise Testone.
• Backed by a small orchestra and looking absolutely great, Lana Del Rey sang an understated version of her number one hit “Video Games.” Her voice is haunting.
• Haley Rinehart my favorite singer from Season 11 sang her new single “Free.” She looked absolutely beautiful and the song sounded great. I think I’m in love!!!
• Joe Perry and the “Top 10” American Idols sang a surprise “Happy Birthday”, to Steven Tyler. In appreciation Tyler responds with one of his witty quotes, “I’m a Rip Van Winkle, so I’m told. I’m much too young to be this old.” Tyler is 64 years old and doesn’t look a day over 70.