American Idol followed up the best night of the season with what was arguably the worst night of the season on Wednesday evening. With only two great performances (Jessica Sanchez and Joshua Ledet) the entire night, there were plenty of potential candidates for the “Bottom 3.” My choices were Hollie Cavanagh, Deandre Brackensick and Elise Testone. Let’s get to the results and see what the voters thought.
Ryan Seacrest calls up Jessica and Joshua to the center of the stage. Since they were the top performers of the week it would be a huge surprise if either one is in the “Bottom 3”. In fact, if Jessica was in the “Bottom 3”, there should be an investigation. No surprise here, they are both safe. Next up is Skylar and Colton. After being in the “Bottom 3” last week, Skylar was under pressure to have a good week and she delivered with a strong performance of Bette Midler’s “Wind Beneath My Wings”. Colton’s performance of Cyndi Lauper’s “Time after Time,” while not as good, should have been enough to keep him out of the “Bottom 3.” Before announcing the results, Ryan calls up Hollie and Deandre to the stage. In my opinion both of them are in trouble and I expect both of them to be in the “Bottom 3.” America agrees. Ryan announces that Skylar and Colton are safe and sends Deandre and Hollie to the “Bottom 3” benches.
With one spot left in the “Bottom 3”, Ryan calls up Elise and Phillip to the center of the stage. Phil’s performance of “That’s All”, by Genesis was clearly his worst performance of the season. Fortunately for Phil, he has been consistently good and one bad performance shouldn’t hurt him. Elise on the other hand has struggled with her consistency and her performance of Foreigner’s, “I Want to Know What Love Is”, was painful to listen to and the voters agreed. Elise joins Deandre and Hollie in the “Bottom 3.” I think America got it right. With their performances Deandre, Elise and Hollie all deserved to be in the “Bottom 3.”
The judges disagreed. I am still not sure what show they are watching!!! I am hoping that Deandre is going home, but I have a bad feeling it is going to be Hollie. To my surprise, Ryan tells Hollie she is safe and now it is between Elise and Deandre. My prayers are answered when Ryan announces that Deandre will have to sing for his life. Deandre performs an encore of Stevie Wonder’s “Master Blaster.” The judges appear to enjoy the performance and now I am having bad thoughts that they are going to use their “wild card” and save Deandre again. Remember Deandre was one of the three original “Wild Card” picks by the judges. Representing the judges, Jennifer Lopez announces “I only get one vote and I am sorry were not saving you tonight.” Ryan asks Jennifer “Are you saying that you voted to save Deandre and the other judges didn’t?” Jennifer responds “Yes, that is what I am saying”.
With a split vote by the judges, Deandre’s journey has come to an end.
American Idol Odds and Ends
• With another strong performance Jessica Sanchez has begun to separate herself from the rest of the American Idol field.
• It will be interesting to see how Phil Phillips responds to a bad performance and increased criticism from Jimmy Iovine. He still has a chance to win this thing but can’t afford another bad performance.
• While I was ecstatic to see Deandre go home, the clock is now ticking for Hollie. Her last three performances have been average and if she can’t find the answer this week her journey will come to the end. She has the talent and the voice. She just has to stop thinking!!!
• At the start of the show, they premiered the video of J. Lo’s new single, “Dance Again.” Looking hot and steamy J-Lo didn’t disappoint. Rapper Pitbull also makes an appearance in the video.
• U.K Pop Sensation the Wanted performed their hit single “Glad You Came.” Think Back Street Boys or new Kids on the Block.
• Looking sexy and sassy Kelly Pickler sang her new hit single “Where’s Tammy Wynette”. She sounded great. While not as popular as Carrie Underwood or Daughtry, she has definitely built a successful career for herself.
• Jennifer Hudson and James Durbin will be performing their new singles on next weeks’ results show.
• I notice that Jimmy Iovine has had a bigger role this season than in past seasons. His comments and criticism have been insightful and are usually correct. Maybe the American Idol judges should pay attention and stop being cheerleaders and offer some constructive criticism for poor performances.
• My predictions for next weeks “Bottom 3,” are Elise Testone, Joshua Ledet and Hollie Cavanagh.